Skip to main content

Military-Affiliated Application Process

Serving Our Military-Affiliated Students

You don’t have to stress about applying to college or understanding your G.I. Bill ® program benefits at UM trust us. Explore the application process with us and get the scoop on what you can expect. 

Let’s start simple: Find the right application.

First time as a degree-seeking student? Check out UM’s freshman admission for four-year programs or Missoula College admission for two-year programs. Earned college credits elsewhere but want to continue your studies as a Grizzly? Explore the transfer admission. Looking to begin graduate studies? Explore graduate admission

Step one: Start your application.

Before anything else, you’ll want to apply to UM — use our online application, use the Common Application or, if you are a Montana resident, access the Apply Montana Portal.

Remember: Test scores are optional at UM no need to include SAT/ACT scores unless you want to! Verify your residency while you’re applying so that our office can confirm you’re eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Step two: Apply to the VA.

Next you’ll want to apply for VA benefits make sure to get a Certificate of Eligibility to submit to UM’s Military and Veteran Services Office!

Step three: Get to know UM's Military and Veteran Services Office

See how UM's Military and Veteran Services Office helps you maximize your education benefits, including the GI Bill®, Yellow Ribbon Program, military tuition assistance, financial aid and more. Ready to get started? 


When do you want to start?

These are UM's general start dates. If you are applying to pharmacy, law or physical therapy, be sure to seek out the calendar for those specific programs.

“But wait! This isn’t me!”

Looking for a different application process? Our bad — pick the app that fits your case below!